Want to have real conversations with your teen?
Raising teens is one of the most important jobs there is. It’s also one of the hardest!
I know you want to be having conversations about sex and relationships, and to do that, you’ll need a good foundation in place.
To that end, I have a few tips to share with you and an invitation:
- Be available and listen more than you talk. If you’re hanging around the kitchen when your teen gets home and wants a snack, you’re much more likely to hear about their day. Follow the 1:3 rule – you talk for one minute and they talk for 3.
- Tell stories instead of giving advice or directions. We all prefer to learn from someone else’s experience rather than be told what to do, and our brains are wired to remember stories easily.
- Explain social nuance. Your teen is awkward and would so love not to be! Explain how their sentence might land for someone else and suggest a way to rephrase it. Explore gray areas that they find tricky, like trying to be sexy without being slutty, or trying to be well groomed without being image obsessed.
Navigating the ups & downs of raising a teen successfully is incredibly challenging, but it can be so much easier if you have support along the way!
I know from my last newsletter than many of you are interested in free resources. I offered free access to the Talking to Kids About Sex Home Study Course to the first 5 parents that responded, and it was with great joy that I found my inbox was full of replies! So I know you’re interested, and that’s why I’m so excited to share this incredible FREE event with you:
Parenting Teens Survival Guide Giveaway
20+ sanity-saving resources to support you
on this (crazy!) journey to raise happy, healthy, confident teens!
This event was created specifically for parents of teens, to provide YOU with the resources & support you need to thrive this year.
Over 20 contributors (including me!) have joined together for this unique event to celebrate the New Year by giving away thousands of dollars worth of free programs and services to parents of teens, which will help you:
- Communicate more effectively with your teen
- Have honest, open conversations, even about the most challenging of topics
- Become a more conscious, calm, and connected parent
- Discover how to (and how NOT to!) motivate your teen
- Learn effective strategies to support teens with ADHD
- Improve brain health, focus and productivity
- Raise genuinely kind and caring teenagers
- Empower your teen to earn better grades with less stress
- Improve your teen’s self-confidence
- Know the step-by-step guidelines to follow if your teen is in crisis
- Establish effective guidelines for your teen’s use of technology
I’m giving away free access to the Preparing Your Child for the Online World video series, and I’m raffling off free access to the Talking to Kids About Sex Home Study Course (so if you didn’t win last week, here’s another chance!).
Everything in this event has been donated by the contributors, and is yours to access, absolutely free.
To grab any (or all!) of these freebies, sign up here to get instant access to the event page, where you can review all of the gifts we’re offering, and get the ones you want right away.
If parenting your teen has been feeling like a struggle lately, this is a fabulous opportunity to get access to some incredible resources to support you on your parenting journey!
I’m excited to view the free gifts myself. Join me? Click here!
In support of you,